Friday, June 03, 2011

Philosophy of the Wines

I guess it wouldn't be wrong for me to open my postings with a brief on my history with wine as well as other small notes such as my favorites so far and the like.

From a cultural point of view, my family and by association myself don't really have much of a wine heritage. Though Asia in general is well known for it's selections of hard liquors and other alcoholic beverages, wine isn't usually on the top of people's noted lists.

And personally, before I entered college (and a legal drinking age in the United States), alcohol wasn't really all that important. My parents never locked up their wine/liquors/beer but I never had a taste for them. Beer always had this smell that wasn't particularly pleasant and the dry quality of liquor and wine was a turn off for me.

On my 21st birthday I enjoyed a glass of arbor mist and was reminded of that fact that wine doesn't have to be dry or overly kick in the face. Since that night several months ago, I've been experimenting around with various varieties to see what I really enjoy.

For the most part I can't stand really dry alcohol. The sensation in my mouth of the nastiness is simply horrendous... Which of course explains why the majority of the wines I'm likely to write about are either sweet or have a semi-sweet aspect to them.

At the present my personal favorite wine variety is Moscato. This sweet white wine is made from the Muscat grape and in general embodies a mellow sweetness. Hints of fruit and light notes of sweets for me evoke memories of walking into a park draped in the kaleidoscope of fall colors. And though gourmets may recommend pairing the wine with other things and indulging in flavorful adventures with a elements that are mildly sweet or spicy in turn, I've personally found that they pair well with nommables that have a light tartness. The tart flavor brings out more of the sweet quality of the wine.

And to another time, I've got work to do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment